Kneading is the process of working dough to help proteins join together and form gluten, which gives dough its strength and elasticity. The most common method of kneading is to press the dough flat, fold it over itself, squash flat again, and repeat.
- Prepare your pizza dough according to the recipe you are using.
- When the recipe calls for kneading, proceed as follows steps. If the dough becomes too sticky to handle at any point, sprinkle a little flour as needed.
- Press the dough into a flattish lump, pushing forwards with the heel of your hand so that the dough is longer than it is wide.
- Pick up one of the long ends, and fold the dough back over itself.
- Rotate the folded dough a quarter turn.
- The dough is now ready to press flat with the heel of your palm again. Repeat these steps as many times as called for in the recipe.