Having a few friends and family members on gluten free diets, a good gluten free pizza recipe has been a bit of a holy grail for me over the last few years. This recipe is the closest that I have come – and it is quite delicious!
- 150g White rice flour
- 80g Tapioca starch
- 30g Fine polenta
- 6g Guar or xanthan gum
- 6g Sea salt
- 10g Sugar
- 10g Baking powder
- 25ml Olive oil
- 1 Egg (this can be omitted to make a vegan base, add a little more water instead)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir all of the dry ingredients together.
- Add the oil, egg and water and stir until the mixture is smooth. The consistency should be a thick, sticky paste.
Shaping the bases
- Place 2 squares of baking paper on a bench or peel and give them a light coat of oil.
- Before handling the mixture drizzle some olive oil into the bowl, and rub a little into your hands. This makes the bases much easier to shape and handle.
- Separate the mixture into 2 equal size lumps and place one on each square of paper. Drizzle a little more oil over the lump of dough.
- Using the palms of your hands, start to press the dough into a pizza shape. Try to get an even thickness of about 4 millimeters.
- Smooth any cracks around the edge and create a slightly raised rim.
- The base is now ready for your toppings! Once topped, use a peel to lift the pizza and greaseproof paper and slide onto a preheated pizza stone to bake.
See the article on toppings to see how this pizza looked fresh out of the oven!