We had a great lamb pizza recently and I was inspired to try making a version at home. It came out pretty well – definitely one I’ll make again! There’s a lot of scope to use different ingredients on this pizza, I think spinach or avocado would both work well. Lamb has quite a strong flavour, so it works well with other assertive ingredients. Yoghurt is a classic pairing adding some contrast to the roast capsicum too, but it is optional if you aren’t such a fan.
Ingredients were sourced from a local farmers market, with the lamb produced by Wattle Wood Springs.
- 250g / 1/2lb Lamb backstrap (or diced pieces)
- 1 red capsicum/pepper, roasted (see below)
- 1/2 spanish onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped fine
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 250g / 1/2lb Mozzarella
*These quantities are enough to top 2 x 12″/30cm pizzas
- Prepare the dough in advance according to your chosen recipe. Preheat a pizza stone if using.
- Mix half the garlic with the yoghurt. Mix well and set aside until needed.
- Lightly toast the cumin seeds in a small pan. This is easy to overdo, so remove from the heat as soon as they start to smell toasty. When toasted, whiz in a spice blender. As an alternative, just use cumin powder.
- Make a marinade for the lamb using 1/2 the garlic, a pinch of salt, the cumin and the lemon juice. Marinate the lamb for at least an hour.
- To roast a pepper/capsicum, place under the grill/broiler until the skin blackens, turning until cooked all around. Allow to cool and peel off the skin. As an alternative, you can purchase pre-roasted. Cut into strips.
- Remove the lamb from its marinade and cut into strips, as thin as possible.
- Shape the pizza dough. Hit it with a splash of sauce, then scatter over a little paprika. Sprinkle over 1/4 of the Mozzarella.
- Arrange the onion and red pepper, then the lamb and finish with another 1/4 of the Mozz.
- Cook on a preheated pizza stone or tray, in as hot as oven as possible for around 5-6 minutes or until browned and delish!
- Before serving, drizzle with the garlic yoghurt to taste.