The strength of this pizza is it’s simplicity and the combination of a small amount of powerful ingredients. The subtle sweetness and texture of the onions is lovely against the bitey blue cheese and the rosemary.
Use your favourite blue cheese here but don’t be afraid to experiment. A nice gorgonzola would be wonderful.
This is a good introduction to the pizza bianca, or white pizza, for those who have always used tomato sauce before!
- 1 Small brown onion, sliced finely into rings
- Mozzarella, finely sliced
- Blue cheese
- Pecorino (or Parmesan if preferred)
- 2-3 tsp of fresh Rosemary leaves, chopped but not too finely.
- Olive oil
- Pizza dough
- Prepare your pizza bases.
- Tear up two slices of mozzarella and scatter over the base.
- Scatter rings of onion over the base.
- Cut or crumble the blue cheese into small pieces and spread evenly over the base.
- Tear up one or two slices of mozzarella and scatter these as well.
- Finish by scattering over with a few pinches of rosemary and some grated fresh pecorino or parmesan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and cook.
And here how it looks straight out of a wood fired oven!